- Julian ( Gobz ) is messing around with samplers,
house music and metal while Shaun is fronting metal bands
( one of which included Joseph White ) then Julian and Shaun
team up under the name "THE WHORES OF BABYLON" as a musical
experiment to record the track ` Charmeur des serpents `
in Julian`s bedroom recording set up. The track is nine
minutes long and is of a gothic rock and dramatic filmscore
influenced nature. It is then distributed amongst friends
and that was that.
- Opened a commercial recording studio `State of Art` in
Bristol,UK. Employed Shaun Atkins ( soundisciples ) and
Dave McDonald ( later in Portishead ) as extra engineers.
- Formed the `Whores of Babylon` with Shaun Atkins ( soundisciples
). Shaun - vocals and Gobz - guitars, drum programming,
sampling, synths, engineering, mixing etc ). Most of the
musical composition by Gobs and some by Shaun.
- Released a demo tape entitled `Eternal` throughout the
underground fanzines etc. The music was a kind of hybrid
goth/dramatic classical/metal crossover, some called it
`darkwave`. Tape received many favourable reviews.
- Signed to `Candlelight` records and released the album
`Metropolis`, all credits as before. Received a mixture
of good and average reviews as album not to everyones taste
in the metal scene. Interview in `Terrorizer` magazine
- left `Candlelight` records as their artist promotion seemed
to be non-existant at the time! Recruited extra band members
in order to perform live. Headlined `Fabrica de sons` festival
in Portugal. Promo video of a song called `the whip` is
shown on ITV`s `noisy muthas`.
- Signed a one off CD deal with `Skyfall` records from Portugal
and released the `Kumari` mini album, all credits Gobz and
Shaun as before. Featured Beth Gibbons from `Portishead`
on one track, and a Geoff Barrow Portishead remix. Travelled
back to Portugal to play some gigs, one at Lisbon university.
Also conducted some Lisbon radio station interviews
- signed a co-ownership deal with Geoff Barrow from
`Portishead` for the recording studio, and the studio was
- Talks with Peaceville/Music for Nations begin.
`Whores of Babylon` name is dropped in favour of `Soundisciples`
as the name the whores is no longer deemed suitable for
a band who`s musical style had now become a kind of techno/jungle/metal
- 2001 - Return to the `302 music junction` homepage
and access the biogs on `Soundisciples` and `Noiselab` for
- Late 2001 She`s Alive !, Whores of Babylon is reborn
complete with a real drummer ( all other whores product
had programmed drums ) and a new bass player.
- The 2nd quarter of 2004 will see a new 8-track promo cd.
It will retain a certain feel of the old material ( i.e
dark Orchestrations, distorted guitars and slight techno
overtones ) but will be much heavier overall, prepare to
enter the abyss !